Last Updated on May 10, 2022
About the Malta Business Registry
The Malta Business Registry, established under Subsidiary Legislation 497.27, is responsible for the registration of new commercial partnerships, the registration of documents related to commercial partnerships, the issuing of certified documentation including certificates of good-standing amongst others, the reservation of company names, the collection of registration and other fees, the publication of notices and the imposition and collection of penalties. The Registry also conducts investigations of companies and the keeping of the company and partnership register.
The MBR houses the International Tax Unit, which complements the other Business Units of the MBR such that a one-stop service for operators in the financial services sector is available. The International Tax Unit forms part of the Office of the Commissioner for Revenue under the Ministry for Finance. It is entrusted to assist international business from a fiscal perspective with the aim to promote international investment.
As a workplace, the MBR promotes equality and diversity, respects equal pay for work of equal value and equal opportunities for training and career progression.
The selected candidate will be appointed as Senior Analyst in Grade 5 (starting Salary from EUR 36,036). S/he will be expected to apply an acquired accountancy and tax law knowledge to the duties carried out at the International and Corporate Tax Unit within the Office of the Commissioner for Revenue. These include:
- Provide support to the senior manager in managing a branch of activity within the International and Corporate Tax Unit;
- Carry out supervision duties and training of staff working within the branch of activity;
- Assist in coordination activities with the other branches of activities within the International and Corporate Tax Unit and other divisions within the Office of the Commissioner for Revenue;
- Review of company tax refund claims in terms of the Income Tax Management Act;
- Duties relating to exchanges of information;
- Participate in meetings with local stakeholders including financial services providers;
- Provide assistance in bilateral international meetings including negotiations of double taxation treaties;
- Participate in international fora including meetings organised by OECD and EU;
- Drafting, interpretation and translation of legal instruments; and
- Provide technical assistance to taxpayers’ queries in relation to tax laws and refund claims.
Furthermore s/he will be expected to assist in other duties as may be directed from time to time either by the Head of the Unit or by any other official to whom the Head’s authority is delegated.
Any other duties described above may change depending on the exigencies of the Unit and/or the MBR.
We are looking for candidates who possess at least ten (10) years’ prior experience in a related area.
i) Preference will be given to candidates who possess a University of Malta Degree in Accounting or Banking & Finance or in Legal (LL.D) or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 7 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)* or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level; AND also possess a minimum of four (4) years’ working experience in a related area OR
ii) Consideration will also be given to Candidates with an NQF Level 6 Degree in a related area and six (6) years’ prior work experience in a related area OR
iii) Candidates who possess at least ten (10) years’ prior experience in a related area.
* It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such interview.
Details can be obtained by accessing the National Commission for Further and Higher Education website on http://www.ncfhe.org.mt under MQRIC heading.
How To Apply
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
C.V and covering letter will be received by not later than Monday, 30th May 2022.
The MBR will disregard any C.V.s and covering letters received after deadline. Candidates should assess and check before submitting their information whether they fulfil all the requirements as specified in this Vacancy notice, particularly in terms of qualifications and relevant professional experience. The MBR reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates.
The MBR shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law.
If a candidate considers that s/he has been adversely affected by a particular decision, s/he can lodge a complaint within one (1) month from the time the candidate is notified of the application/interview feedback, addressed to the MBR Chief Operations Officer, AM Business Centre, Triq il-Labour, Zejtun ZTN 2401.
Submission of Information
Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate’s appointment liable to termination.
Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Jobsplus Public Call Permit Reference: 234/2022