Last Updated on July 6, 2023
About the Malta Business Registry
The Malta Business Registry, established under Subsidiary Legislation 595.27, is responsible for the registration of new commercial partnerships, the registration of documents related to commercial partnership, the issuing of certified documentation including certificates of good-standing amongst others, the reservation of company names, the collection of registration and other fees, the publication of notices and the imposition and collection of penalties. The Registry also conducts investigations of companies and the keeping of the company and partnership register.
As a workplace, the MBR promotes equality and diversity, respects equal pay for work of equal value and equal opportunities for training and career progression.
The selected candidate will be appointed at a Senior Desk Officer in Grade 5 level (starting salary from €36,551) and will provide support to the Senior Manager in managing the Ongoing branch of activity (Section), reporting to the Registrar (Chief Executive Officer) and will be entrusted with responsibilities relating to the following duties which shall include:
- Assisting in leading a team in handling vetting of documents regarding new companies, resolutions, Forms BO and mergers; as well as other documents which are required to be filed and registered under the Companies Act 1995, and signing of certification of registration;
- Ensure accurate vetting of Documents submitted by companies for registration in terms of the CA 95/MSR and to verify compliance with the CA 95/MSR;
- Guiding clients on matters concerning local company legislation;
- Dealing and communicating with company practitioners and company officers;
- Ensuring queries by the general public related to registry processes are tackled professionally and efficiently;
- Guiding Desk Officers/Junior Desk Officers/Administrative Officers within different clusters in the coordination of policies and procedures related with the Registry;
- Assisting the Senior Manager to ensure smooth running of the operations within the Registry (Operations) and Registry (Support);
- In constant liaison with the Agency’s Legal and Enforcement Unit, ICTU and Compliance as well as other Governmental bodies;
- Advising staff on matters concerning the submission of documents;
- Signing of documents and legal copies issued by the Registrar;
- Assisting the Senior Manager to establish and monitor standards within the Section relating to security, including GDPR and FOI issues, and provide technical assistance to the Section’s members of staff on such matters;
- Providing input to the Registrar/Deputy Registrar/Senior Manager in setting yearly goals for the Unit and also in relation to the development of proposals related to key priority areas which may be tapped into by the MBR, in line with the Agency’s strategy and vision;
- Ensuring vetting is carried out with supervisory and compliance methodologies;
- Giving evidence in court proceedings in representation of the Registrar;
- Keeping abreast of regulatory and legal developments and industry initiatives and respond appropriately;
- Ensure that fines/penalties are claimed in terms of Law;
- Acting as a mentor to the members of the team to achieve their professional and development goals;
- Assist in organising and delivery of related training both to internal staff members and also to external stakeholders;
- Representing the MBR in EU and international fora and engage with other authorities, as necessary;
- Ensuring that general Administrative duties relative to Desk Officers and other staff within Registry (Operations and Support Staff Section) is carried out effectively and efficiently;
- Assist the Senior Manager in relation to the Registry’s revenue accounts and budgeting;
- Prepare reports for top management review; and
- Identify Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and carry out performance management assessments of Junior Desk Officers and Administrative Officers.
Furthermore s/he will be expected to assist in other duties as may be directed from time to time by the Registrar.
Any other duties described above may change depending on the exigencies of the Registry and/or the MBR
This post is being designated for the purpose of Sub-Article 5 of Article 4 of the Public Administration Act and in terms of Directive 14, since it involves regulatory and/or inspectorate functions. The relevant conditions laid out in the Public Administration Act and Directive 14 apply.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess a University of Malta Degree in Accounting or Banking & Finance or in Legal (LL.D)/Master of Advocacy (M.Adv) or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 7 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)* or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level; AND also possess a minimum of four (4) years working experience in a related area; OR
- Consideration will also be given to Candidates with a University of Malta Degree in Accounting or Banking & Finance or in Legal (LL.D)/Bachelor of Laws (LL.B Hons) or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant field of study at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better, duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC)* or a widely recognised professional qualification at a comparable level; and also possess a minimum of six (6) years working experience in a related area; OR
- Candidates who at least possess ten (10) years’ prior experience in a related area.
* It is the responsibility of applicants in possession of qualifications awarded by Universities and other similar institutions outside Malta to produce a recognition statement on comparability of qualifications issued by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC). Applicants should do so preferably at application stage or otherwise at the preliminary interview should an applicant be selected for such interview.
Details can be obtained by accessing the Malta Further & Higher Education Authority (MFHEA) website on http://mfhea.mt/ under MQRIC heading.
How to Apply
Candidates are to forward a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and an accompanying covering letter providing the motivation for the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
C.V and covering letter will be received by not later than Monday, 24th July 2023.
The MBR will disregard any C.V.s and covering letters received after deadline. Candidates should assess and check before submitting their information whether they fulfil all the requirements as specified in this Vacancy notice, particularly in terms of qualifications and relevant professional experience. The MBR reserves the right to withdraw this call at any time and not to select any of the Candidates.
The MBR shall ensure that any processing of personal data is in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), the Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) and any other relevant European Union and national law.
If a candidate considers that s/he has been adversely affected by a particular decision, s/he can lodge a complaint within one (1) month from the time the candidate is notified of the application/interview feedback, addressed to the MBR Chief Executive Officer, AM Business Centre, Triq il-Labour, Zejtun ZTN 2401.
Submission of Information
Candidates are to note that the submission of any false statement/s or omission, even if unintended, may lead to the cancellation of their application and may render the candidate’s appointment liable to termination.
Furthermore, please note that candidates may be asked to submit any documentation in support of the information provided, including but not limited to, proof of qualifications and Police Conduct Certificates.
Jobsplus Public Call Permit Reference: 513/2022